* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Walk into a glass door; get a million dollars?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 am 
Archon

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/25/octegenarian-sues-apple-for-collision-related-injury/

Quote:
A Queens woman is suing Apple for $1,000,000 after smashing her face on a glass door at a Long Island Apple Store.

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.

Post subject: Re: Walk into a glass door; get a million dollars?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 am 
Archon

nmoore63 wrote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/25/octegenarian-sues-apple-for-collision-related-injury/

Quote:
A Queens woman is suing Apple for $1,000,000 after smashing her face on a glass door at a Long Island Apple Store.

It will be settled out of court for a far lower amount. If Jobs was still alive would they taze her for organ harvesting?

Love that litigious society.

HJK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am 
Archon

In 1999, I slipped on some black ice on the sidewalk in front of a department store. It must have been that water was poured over the surface, and then instantly froze to make a perfect sheet of ice. I went into the store to inform them that they had a nearly invisible patch of ice on their sidewalk out front. They took my number and address.

Then a few months later I got a phone call from their lawyers about settling. It was such a ridiculous thing. I didn't sue them. I warned them that they had this patch of ice. But apparently their business process was setup to treat every incident as a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 am 
Hetairoi

I'd say that paying her medical bills might not be unreasonable. Homeowner's insurance covers accidents that happen to guests who visit, and I'd expect no less from a business (whether they buy insurance or "self insure"). I think punitive damages in this case are ridiculous though, and hope Apple is smart enough to fight it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:42 am 
Archon

Atanamis wrote:
I'd say that paying her medical bills might not be unreasonable. Homeowner's insurance covers accidents that happen to guests who visit, and I'd expect no less from a business (whether they buy insurance or "self insure"). I think punitive damages in this case are ridiculous though, and hope Apple is smart enough to fight it.

I'm sure there's an accuary table that has already crunched the numbers on this one.

HJK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm 
Satrap

Good on you to settle dsl, pretty lame I have to congratulate someone for not suing when they are able but shouldn't.

My folks had this big sliding glass door at our house. A million bucks for every time somebody ran or walked into that invisible death trap? I should have sued Windex.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 pm 
Archon

I didn't even settle. I was not injured in any meaningful way. I wouldn't take advantage of the situation like that. If I actually had medical bills from it, then sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 pm 
Hetairoi

Haha. How about a "you're a fucking idiot sticker" and a swift kick in the ass? HAHAHAHAH

:lol:

That's the settlement I'd be willing to offer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
Satrap

The amount sued for usually has little relationship to the value of the claim. Apple obviously has deep pockets, but is a jury likely to award an 83 year old that much for a broken nose? She probably has less than $500 in medical bills. Throw in a little for pain and suffering, humiliation and embarrassment, temporary disfigurement...what's it worth?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Hetairoi

de officiis wrote:
The amount sued for usually has little relationship to the value of the claim. Apple obviously has deep pockets, but is a jury likely to award an 83 year old that much for a broken nose? She probably has less than $500 in medical bills. Throw in a little for pain and suffering, humiliation and embarrassment, temporary disfigurement...what's it worth?

I'd give her a fucking bird. Because that's her level of intelligence apparently. You know birds do this quite a bit, yet we don't give them a million dollars every time.

Or maybe I'd just give her THE bird. It's a toss-up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 pm 
Archon

Remember these?

I loved those labyrinths when I little. We had an amusement house nearby that had one of these that I visited countless times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:57 pm 
Hetairoi

Not sure which way to feel on this one.

At 83 I am sure the glass would be difficult to see, but is that Apple's fault or the fault that she is too old.

But then that might lead to other questions like is the inability for someone in a wheelchair to enter a business the fault of the business or the fault of the disabled person?

I would lean toward paying the medical bills and screw the extra she (or the lawyer) is wanting.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm 
Archon

I wouldn't get too torn up about it. If I were in my 80s, I think I might find this insulting. There was a building right there. Did she think that building hovers in the air? Or that the Apple store is completely open to the elements?

And glass walls have been commonplace at least since the 1980s. Every major supermall in the United States featured them decades ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm 
Hetairoi

very true

Like I said I am not sure which way to fell on this one.

Part of me says it is her problem and her problem alone

Anyone have a good picture of the doors in question (I have never seen an Apple store) I have no idea what they look like. Are they of the design that makes it difficult to know where the door is?

I have seen glass architecture in Nashville that makes the entrance look like a solid sheet of glass and knowing where to push can be difficult if it were not marked.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Archon

Their Long Island store is actually quite attractive:

Personally, I hate going to the Apple Store though. My hypervigilance issues go through the roof with all those people standing around in a chaotic crowd. Then I end up waiting for somebody to do some simple task that could have been done much more efficiently had they used a queue. It's not an enjoyable experience for me. Plus the hipster thing annoys me.

But I do like the way some of their stores are designed. This building looks quite interesting.