Planned Parenthood Firebombed in Wisconsin

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Planned Parenthood Firebombed in Wisconsin

Postby DBTrek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Oh yes. Definitely need books to expose us to these fascinating 'new ideas'.

There should probably be an entire library built for humanity that specializes exclusively in texts that discuss things for which we have no evidence of existing. We could start with tomes dedicated to every mythological beast conceived of by mankind since the first common ancestor crawled from the trees. We could move on to voluminous texts covering every mythical object from the Philosopher Stone, to Excalibur, to the concept of Ether. Think of the intellectual powerhouse one would be after emerging from ten years of reading in such a library. Why, you'd be a veritable expert on SHIT THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!
:facepalm:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby drtrech » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:54 pm

DBTrek wrote:Oh yes. Definitely need books to expose us to these fascinating 'new ideas'.

There should probably be an entire library built for humanity that specializes exclusively in texts that discuss things for which we have no evidence of existing. We could start with tomes dedicated to every mythological beast conceived of by mankind since the first common ancestor crawled from the trees. We could move on to voluminous texts covering every mythical object from the Philosopher Stone, to Excalibur, to the concept of Ether. Think of the intellectual powerhouse one would be after emerging from ten years of reading in such a library. Why, you'd be a veritable expert on SHIT THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!
:facepalm:

Have you read the book?

No. I didn't think so.

It's far more of an examination of belief in deities and the impact of that belief on human development and culture.

You could compare it to an examination of the dark ages' effect on humanity.

But that likely wouldn't appeal either.

I've never seen you express such disdain for knowledge. Have you become a Republican?
drtrech
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm

I'd reply to your post but I'm busy writing the first volume of my Magnum Opus:

Shit That We Have No Evidence For Ever Having Existed:
Volume One - Non-Existent Shit That Starts With The Letter 'A'

This way the Atheists can find comfort and logical rationale to explain their radical decision not to believe in shit we have no evidence for.

Feel free to apply as a proofreader.
:wink:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby boethius » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 am

Atheists admit the truth of many things that are unprovable. For example, Euclid's postulates in geometry.

Atheists need books to convince themselves why the postulate of an Unmoved Mover or First Cause is untrue, while Euclid's postulates in geometry are true*. Neither are provable, however.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/postulate

pos·tu·late
   [v. pos-chuh-leyt; n. pos-chuh-lit, -leyt] Show IPA verb, -lat·ed, -lat·ing, noun
noun
5. something taken as self-evident or assumed without proof as a basis for reasoning.
6. Mathematics, Logic . a proposition that requires no proof, being self-evident, or that is for a specific purpose assumed true, and that is used in the proof of other propositions; axiom.
7. a fundamental principle.
8. a necessary condition; prerequisite.

*Actually, they aren't all true, but that's for another thread.
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby The Road Rascal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am

I was told there would be no math. :empty:
The Road Rascal
Nomarch

Postby slidecube » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 am

The Road Rascal wrote:I was told there would be no math. :empty:

Math is everywhere pal, best learn to accept it. :extgrin:
Formerly Greg from Austin
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Examine what is said, not him who speaks. - Arab Proverb

I'm not young enough to know everything. - Oscar Wilde

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. You're supposed to listen twice as much as you speak.
slidecube
Nomarch

Previous

Return to Current Events