* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Teacher Wins Discrimination Suit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 am 
Hetairoi

Here's one jury that doesn't believe in critical race theory. Looks like a black principal can't call a teacher a poor white trash b@#$%.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/jury-awards-former-prince-georges-county-teacher-350000-over-retaliation-claim/2014/08/08/6e2d50f6-1e73-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html

A former Prince George’s County teacher won a $350,000 jury award after accusing the school system of discriminating against him because he is white.

Jon Everhart alleged in his lawsuit against the Prince George’s County school board that a black principal forced him out of his job because of his race.

“Justice was served,” Everhart said. “I do feel as though I have been vindicated.”

Everhart, 65, speaking by phone from Ohio after the verdict in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, said he faced years of racial harassment from the Largo High School principal, who he said repeatedly told staffers and students that she planned to fire him.

“She called me ‘poor white trash’ and ‘white b----,’ ” Everhart said of the principal, Angelique Simpson-Marcus, who leads the 1,100-student school in Upper Marlboro. “Her behavior was so outlandish.”

Simpson-Marcus said in an interview that the allegations are baseless. She declined to comment on the reason for Everhart’s termination, but she said the complaints of ill treatment and retaliation were “unfounded.”

“I never said any of those things,” she said. “I don’t use that kind of language.”

Max Pugh, a spokesman for the Prince George’s County school system, said he could not comment on the case because the litigation is ongoing; the school system has 30 days to respond to the judge’s order and could file an appeal.

Everhart sued in 2010 after he was fired, and he was one of several Largo High School employees who made allegations of harassment. Some who filed lawsuits said they were mistreated for vocally supporting Everhart.

Bryan Chapman, Everhart’s attorney, argued that the Board of Education violated the Civil Rights Act, which says organizations receiving federal funding cannot discriminate on the basis of race, color or national origin. There is no cap in potential damages in such cases; Everhart originally sought $5 million.

The jury sided with Everhart on the discrimination claim, but it found in favor of the county school board on Everhart’s claim of a hostile work environment.

Everhart’s award is for compensatory damages. He said he has suffered from high blood pressure and heart problems as a result of his treatment at Largo.

U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte will later decide how much Everhart should receive in back pay and benefits. The school system has 30 days to show why Everhart should not receive retirement and health benefits and why his teaching certificate, which was revoked when he was fired, should not be restored.

Everhart, a former Baltimore city teacher, was hired by Prince George’s in 2003 and was assigned to teach English at Largo. At that time, Simpson-Marcus was a physical education teacher.

Everhart said Simpson-Marcus told students that the “only reason a white teacher teaches in P. G. County is that they can’t get a job elsewhere.” He filed a union grievance against her and said she told him that if she ever became principal, he would be the first person she would fire.

Chapman said that when Simpson-Marcus returned to Largo as its principal, Everhart, who was once named the school’s Teacher of the Year and who received stellar evaluations, started to receive unsatisfactory performance evaluations.

Everhart said he was removed from teaching honors English to juniors and seniors — classes in which he was popular — and was placed in a freshman class, where Simpson-Marcus allegedly told students that Everhart was going to lose his job.

Chapman said that Everhart filed complaints but that they were often ignored. He tried to get transferred to another high school, but the effort was blocked, Chapman said. There was never a school system investigation of the matter, Chapman and Everhart said.

“I just think it was a disgrace, and I think that’s what the jury saw, too,” Chapman said.

Post subject: Re: White Teacher Wins Discrimination Suit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:29 pm 
Contributing Member

Not sure how you can rule that someone was discriminated against but not find that they are in a hostile working enviroment ESPECIALLY if the person discriminating against you in the Principal.

Also no matter how bad your treated by the Principal I don't think they can cause high blood pressure or heart problems. The guy deserves to get paid for sure but not compensation for his health conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:44 am 
Hetairoi

acrause wrote:
Not sure how you can rule that someone was discriminated against but not find that they are in a hostile working enviroment ESPECIALLY if the person discriminating against you in the Principal.

Also no matter how bad your treated by the Principal I don't think they can cause high blood pressure or heart problems. The guy deserves to get paid for sure but not compensation for his health conditions.

Ever have a black mark on your record? Ever been unemployed because of having to explain why you were fired from your last job? Come back to me when you have. I am lucky to have low blood pressure naturally, and live by several mantras that allow me to stay calm under most stressful situations... but being unemployed, having bills due, and constant stress not knowing where your next bit of income is going to come from can be very, very stressful...

There have also been studies that constant stress can damage the heart too.

Thomas Jefferson

My Political Compass 2010

My Political Compass 6/28/13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:04 am 
Contributing Member

The Conservative wrote:
acrause wrote:

Ever have a black mark on your record? Ever been unemployed because of having to explain why you were fired from your last job? Come back to me when you have. I am lucky to have low blood pressure naturally, and live by several mantras that allow me to stay calm under most stressful situations... but being unemployed, having bills due, and constant stress not knowing where your next bit of income is going to come from can be very, very stressful...

I don't doubt that the guys blood pressure was high in certain situations around the Principal. I don't buy that it permanently changed him and permanently changed his heart structure. That said he deserves any settlement that he gets. He's obviously in the right in this situation. The damages should have been he was wrongly and it will be harder for him to get another job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:22 am 
Hetairoi

acrause wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
acrause wrote:

I don't doubt that the guys blood pressure was high in certain situations around the Principal. I don't buy that it permanently changed him and permanently changed his heart structure. That said he deserves any settlement that he gets. He's obviously in the right in this situation. The damages should have been he was wrongly and it will be harder for him to get another job.

Look up the research, you'll see...

In any case, there is no level of finances that will recover what he lost ultimately. Unless the judge demands the school pays his pension at 100%... he is going to be hell bent on finding another school to work at since this went public.

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am 
Contributing Member

He asked for like 3.5 million which is a fair amount I think especially if he can't find another job. Hopefully he will get another job soon. I know how hard it is though because I'm trying to get my first teaching position as we speak. Based on the article the guy is a good award winning teacher. Hopefully a district can see that rather than just the controversy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 am 

No amount of money from the public coffers is going to heal your emotional wounds from a mean black lady calling you a white b**ch. I would be sympathetic to this teacher if his purpose was to punish the principal by getting her fired, maybe even black listed from any government jobs, etc. Nope... he demanded $3.5 million bucks instead! I'm glad the judge toned it down... but not enough IMO.

This compensatory mindset we seem to have in this country is what completely corrupts and discredits legitimate discrimination lawsuits. Money is NOT justice! All it does is question the motivations behind your legal claims. The looser in such a case (the principal, not the school) should pay all the legal fees for sure, but punitive damages for stress? Pfft... life is stressful.. quit your crying!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 am 
Hetairoi

Henchman wrote:
No amount of money from the public coffers is going to heal your emotional wounds from a mean black lady calling you a white b**ch. I would be sympathetic to this teacher if his purpose was to punish the principal by getting her fired, maybe even black listed from any government jobs, etc. Nope... he demanded $3.5 million bucks instead! I'm glad the judge toned it down... but not enough IMO.

This compensatory mindset we seem to have in this country is what completely corrupts and discredits legitimate discrimination lawsuits. Money is NOT justice! All it does is question the motivations behind your legal claims. The looser in such a case (the principal, not the school) should pay all the legal fees for sure, but punitive damages for stress? Pfft... life is stressful.. quit your crying!

Actually this to me doesn't go far enough... the problem is that suing is out of control, but real cases should be brought forward. I've been on the end of a lawsuit that gave financial reward due to a malpractice lawsuit...

I got 250K (only saw 120K due to lawyer fees)... yet my issues are life changing... this was also over 20 years ago... imagine if that happened today?

In any case, the situation here is that they ruined this teacher's life by revoking her teaching license... if she can't get a career in what she went to school for after spending probably a good chunk of change on it, and may still be paying it off per say...

That amount of money she was asking for won't cover expenditures that most people won't see period.

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 am 
Contributing Member

acrause wrote:
He asked for like 3.5 million which is a fair amount I think especially if he can't find another job. Hopefully he will get another job soon. I know how hard it is though because I'm trying to get my first teaching position as we speak. Based on the article the guy is a good award winning teacher. Hopefully a district can see that rather than just the controversy.

Money is essentially justice though. Money is speech, money is power, money is justice. Money is everything.