* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:37 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: China Rejects US Imports, Says We Need To Do Better. (GMOs)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 am 
Archon

Quote:
China rejects shipments of genetically modified corn

China rejected two shipments -- almost 546,000 tons -- of U.S. dried distillers' grain, a corn byproduct, because it contained genetically modified material, state media reported Friday.

China's top food-quality watchdog rejected the two shipments because they contained MIR162, a special insect-resistant variety of maize developed by Syngenta, a Swiss maker of seeds and pesticides.

The first shipment, 545,000 tons, was rejected last week in Shanghai, state media said. The second shipment, 758 tons, was rejected Monday.

MIR162 is not on the Chinese government's short list of approved grains considered genetically modified organisms, or GMO.

Still, Chinese consumers remain wary of GMO crops and some nationalist-leaning pundits have suggested the Western-dominated technology leaves China’s food supply vulnerable.
The U.S. is the world’s largest corn exporter and China is its No. 3 customer. The Asian nation is expected to buy a record 7 million tons of corn in the 2013-14 marketing year.

Chinese authorities said the shipments have been returned and are urging American officials to improve their "inspection procedures to ensure they comply with Chinese quality standards."
:ohsnapsign:

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-china-rejects-shipment-of-gmo-corn-20131227,0,2126813.story#ixzz2owQB6KUz

Well, I guess we've been told!
The day that our food can't meet Chinese standards . . . aww lordy . . .
:shakinghead:

Post subject: Re: China Rejects US Imports, Says We Need To Do Better. (GM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 am 
Satrap

The anti-agricultural science craze is sweeping the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:46 am 
Archon

Because the Irish Potato Famine aside, we don't really need biodiversity, right?
Plus there's no need to let folks know which food is modified and which is not. To much information jhust bankrupts farmers and panics consumers.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You and your Darth Vader corn kernels may hold sway in the USA, but the rest of the globe ain't buying.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 am 
Satrap

I'll drop my support of this evil government/big business alliance if you can find me one example of food which has not been genetically modified.

I will wait.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Archon

DBTrek wrote:

You and your Darth Vader corn kernels may hold sway in the USA, but the rest of the globe ain't buying.

I'd go with GMO corn verses cadium based toys that come from China.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 am 
Nomarch

Don't worry. The TPP will sort out things like this very soon.

Sovereign state? Psshh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:55 am 
Nomarch

The Mad Zeppelineer wrote:
I'll drop my support of this evil government/big business alliance if you can find me one example of food which has not been genetically modified.

I will wait.

sun light, carbon dioxide, sugar.

edit: fixed it

Last edited by Okeefenokee on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:58 am 
Archon

I will wait.

LOL!

So, semantic games is what you've got.
Well, that's a shock.
No, thanks, we've all heard the "Nature modifies crops through evolution durrr-hurrr-hurrr" non-thinking toady response countless times, it's as vapid and ignorant now as it was when the first ass puppet of the power structure held it up like it was a shining trophy and not the fetid turd we all see it for.

If you really can't discern the difference between lab-based scientists modifying agricultural genes and farmers selecting the crops they prefer over millennia then just spare us the song and dance, eh? We get it. You think conflating natural evolution with frankenstein tinkering is a genius argument. Pat your self on the back and hitch a ride back to the dum-dum depot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 pm 
Satrap

DBTrek wrote:

I will wait.

LOL!

So, semantic games is what you've got.
Well, that's a shock.
No, thanks, we've all heard the "Nature modifies crops through evolution durrr-hurrr-hurrr" non-thinking toady response countless times, it's as vapid and ignorant now as it was when the first ass puppet of the power structure held it up like it was a shining trophy and not the fetid turd we all see it for.

If you really can't discern the difference between lab-based scientists modifying agricultural genes and farmers selecting the crops they prefer over millennia then just spare us the song and dance, eh? We get it. You think conflating natural evolution with frankenstein tinkering is a genius argument. Pat your self on the back and hitch a ride back to the dum-dum depot.

Mmmmmhhhmmm. Take your hippie philosophy elsewhere. My agriculture feeds the world. What does the Greenpeace faction do? Enrich already bloated and obscene agricultural conglomerates by buying "natural" foods?

Oh my god! Chemicals!

I want my crops covered in bat shit. Bat shit doesnt have chemicals. Its like fairy dust. Sprinkle it on, say the incantation to mother gaia, and presto, organic cornflakes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 pm 
Archon

Mmmmmhhhmmm. Take your hippie philosophy elsewhere. My agriculture feeds the world.

Does it? Looks to me like it rots in boats just off the shore of China.
BOOYAH!
Pack that in your 'corporate profits = god' engraved pipe and smoke it.

Quote:
Oh my god! Chemicals!

I want my crops covered in bat shit. Bat shit doesnt have chemicals. Its like fairy dust. Sprinkle it on, say the incantation to mother gaia, and presto, organic cornflakes.

Chemicals aren't genes. Not that your confusion on this point should in any way detract from what is no doubt a highly informed and well considered opinion on the subject.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:24 pm 
Hetairoi

In the future you may be getting your chicken from China, with no country of origin labeling.
http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2013/12/now-that-obama-is-allowing-chicken-from-china-what-will-that-do-to-the-chicken-industry/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm 
Archon

I'm just sayin' that Mad Zep is out there "saving the world" with corn unfit for a Chinaman's mouth.
Take that as you will.

These people won't put that nasty ass, suspect, shifty-eyed corn in their mouths, but Zep is using it to save us all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 pm 
Hetairoi

While I'll admit that Monsanto is the Devil's own caterer, the Chinese aren't rejecting our imports out of high-minded concerns about food safety or the integrity of small farmers, but instead as another front in our ongoing trade/economic wars.

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:10 pm 
Nomarch

It's hard to think they care about corn when we know they don't care about lead in toys and arsenic in baby formula. I think their opposition is political rather than health.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:18 pm 
Hetairoi

Okeefenokee wrote:
It's hard to think they care about corn when we know they don't care about lead in toys and arsenic in baby formula. I think their opposition is political rather than health.

Not one bit of lead detected in that corn. :shakinghead: