* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:49 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this for real? Oh, the humanity!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:37 pm 
Hetairoi

Okeefenokee wrote:
well yes but that isn't the same. that is saying that if something else caused a genetic change that clashed with the circumstances that it could lead to a big death toll which would leave behind a specific set of genetically special creatures.

what epigenetics is saying is that the genetic change that kicks the process off is not random mutation as evolutionists have always said. it doesn't take millions of years for random mutations to result in specific organisms winding up with the right mutation at the right time. rather than a creature having a mutation and being ready for the environmental factor that will lead it to be more successful, it is the environmental factors that trigger genetic changes in a species that their offspring are born with.

btw navy, whats up with that flag?

Flag - flag of Mississippi (my home)

As far as "epigenetics" ... haven't ever heard of it. But who's to say that genetic mutations are random? Such a statement would truly be non-scientific. We can only say with any certainty that nature weeds out bad genetics by forcing the weak to die while the strong survive and procreate. Who's to say that God doesn't have a hand in genetic mutations? Who's to say that God doesn't have a hand in quantum physics? The divine can be found in the natural world, if you wish to look for Him there, in the details. So many things still go unexplained, even though human knowledge has expanded tremendously over the centuries. The expansion of knowledge doesn't discount God's existence. To me, the fact that unknowns remain in the face of vast scientific advances is evidence that there is a higher power unseen to us. The nature of consciousness is but one example. My admittedly selfish quest to understand the natural world will not end simply because I believe that God exists.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:20 pm 
Hetairoi

navy62802 wrote:
But who's to say that genetic mutations are random? Such a statement would truly be non-scientific.

Richard Dawkins says that mutations are random:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sPpaZn ... &q&f=false

Middle of the third paragraph from the top.

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 pm 
Nomarch

i thought they changed your flag.

old georgia flag

new georgia flag

actual confederate flag

poor dumb bastards were too brain dead to realise the old flag wasn't the CSA flag and too ignorant to see that the new one is the actual CSA flag. moron activists.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:31 pm 
Satrap

Kath wrote:
MediaGhost10 wrote:
It's them gun grabbin' libral nanny staters trying to steal our gravity so our bullets fall upwards! It's true! I read it on the NRA website!

:wtfsign:

Seriously, dude, are you twelve years old or just really immature?

Do you plan on contributing anything one day or are you just going to go on ranting away like a child?

Jeez calm down he was just joking

i find it funny( but you probably would not understand what "funny" is) that some people take things so seriously on this site.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 pm 
Hetairoi

Runicmadhamster wrote:
i find it funny( but you probably would not understand what "funny" is) that some people take things so seriously on this site.

If you're genuinely funny, us DCF users will laugh at our screens. If you're trying really, really hard to be funny and it's obvious, Kath (and others) will tell you to stop.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 pm 
Satrap

Waleis wrote:
If you're genuinely funny, us DCF users will laugh at our screens. If you're trying really, really hard to be funny and it's obvious, Kath (and others) will tell you to stop.

Yeah i have seen plenty of posts so far where humor gets slammed for being " inappropriate".

Sigh poor humour so poorly respected these days( well online any way)

Any way thanks for the heads up :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am 
Nomarch

Miss D.C. probably wins all up for me... but Miss Alabama could probably convert me in time...

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking. - John Maynard Keynes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 am 

Props to Miss Kentucky for having some guts.

I wanna be anarchy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Nomarch

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
I'm late to the party but would like to comment on the OP.

I'm not sure what you guys expected, the people who watch, and vote for, Miss America are generally traditionalists, and so answers are phrased to best not offend them. Miss America contestants are not in the pageant to promote social change, they are there to win. And if saying Creationism and Evolutionism are equal, that is likely what they are going to say. Doesn't mean they are stupid, in fact, they would be stupid to get up there and be like "Fucking OF COURSE IT SHOULD BE, God damn why are you asking me such inane questions?"

There were some responses that were more reasonable than others, I liked Miss Vermont's answer, California's and a few others.

The biggest problem I see here, is that the question was even asked. Its been like what, 60, 70 years since the Scopes trial? Miss America judges still think its controversial?

The question should have been "should Creationism be taught in schools" not evolution, Evolution was settled a long time ago. All my schools taught it, but then again I lived in liberal states. Are kids in Alabama not learning evolution still? If so, that is frightening.

For the record I think Creationism should be taught in schools. It just shouldn't be taught in science class, because it isn't based on science. Keep religious studies in Humanity classes and evolution in Science class.

I can't remember who is was, but I also really like the one who said she was raised Catholic but that doesn't stop her from acknowledging in evolution and she was knowledgeable enough to know that Pope John Paul II said that was okay. Other than Vermont, that was pretty good.

Also, the Video on if Math should be taught in school was fucking hilarious.

Wow! 8 pages already. Living in an other time zone makes you miss a lot of action.

I didn't intend to start a debate over evolution, neither did I see this as a sample of true opinions of the contestants. I'm sure they are thoroughly coached on what to say and if they blurb the producers will give them an other go.

What gets me is that this is expected to be the least offensive way to answer that question in U.S. today. That's what they're aiming for right? Putting off as few people as possible.

If it was here most of these girls would be put in the crazy category.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. - Vecna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:11 am 
Contributing Member

Runicmadhamster wrote:

I find it funny that people take anything seriously on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 am 
Archon

I find it funny that a damn near 50-year-old wannabe film maker wants to act like a juvenile in these forums, and is now creating sock puppets to cheer him on because everyone else has come to the correct conclusion that he's a douche.

Dude, get a job, you're almost 50!
:altwink:

(Check his user info if you think I'm making that up)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am 
Contributing Member

Hastur wrote:
Wow! 8 pages already. Living in an other time zone makes you miss a lot of action.

Meh. You didn't miss much. Most is it was one of gullible little baby short man's tiny-fisted temper tantrums.

Hastur wrote:
I didn't intend to start a debate over evolution, neither did I see this as a sample of true opinions of the contestants. I'm sure they are thoroughly coached on what to say and if they blurb the producers will give them an other go.

That's usually the way it works. They certainly know enough not to go "off script" when then camera in on.

Hastur wrote:
What gets me is that this is expected to be the least offensive way to answer that question in U.S. today. That's what they're aiming for right? Putting off as few people as possible.

Yep. Got it in one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am 
Hetairoi

MediaGhost10 wrote:
Hastur wrote:

Meh. You didn't miss much. Most is it was one of gullible little baby short man's tiny-fisted temper tantrums.

Are you referring to yourself here?

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.