Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Rhoetus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Rhoetus wrote:I'm going to try and stop arguing with you Doc, I'm already bald, I'm out of hair to pull out.

I will however suggest watching,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTyjb0-TsxYGet about 2 minutes in, and then you can see some of what people in 70 or 80 lbs of armor can do. The jousting is real, just blunt lances, and of course, the foot combat is staged, but you can see the speed and maneuverability of the guys.

I am sorry. I don't mean to anger you. I love knights as well.

Doc, it takes a lot to anger me... frustrating me is a different story. I've already said that I agree with you for the most part on the peasant thing...but I think you may have an oversimplified idea of the groundwork that would need to be involved.
We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.
C. S. Lewis
Rhoetus
Satrap

Postby Harry K » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Ash: Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
Last edited by Harry K on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to catch a Wolpertinger, according to legend, is to be a beautiful young woman (or be in the company of one), since Wolpertingers have a weakness for female beauty. The woman should go out into a forest at night while the moon is full and find a secluded nook where a Wolpertinger is likely to be. Hopefully, the creature will soon reveal itself. When it does the woman should expose her breasts. This will cause the Wolpertinger to instantly fall into a stupor, allowing it to easily be bagged.
Harry K
Archon

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
If I equip peasants with weapons to defeat armor and cavalry and then train them to use that, how exactly is that not converting peasants into an effective army? I never claimed they are better warriors. My claim is that there exists so many more of them and the tools to defeat knights are easily constructed. You build morale by starting small and giving them small victories to build confidence. Reward them with the loot they capture from your opponents. When they have issues over which you can control, reciprocate their loyalty.

Yes, except you are arguing the theoreticals. I am saying that there's a reason that this didn't happen... peasants against well equipped warriors just didn't work the way you assume they might. When you talk about training them as a militia, you are talking about taking them out of "peasant" status and turning them into warriors.

Dr. Strangelove wrote:^^^ That is exactly how feudalism was defeated in both Europe and Japan. Eventually you end up with some form of monarchy or empire.

Gotta disagree with you here Doc. Feudalism wasn't defeated from below, but from above. It was the kings who did not want the barons to keep doing anything they wanted to do that systematically knocked down castles and conquered areas (with their own Royal knights) that had been duchies and such. This was part of the history of the formation of modern states. None of the major powers of Europe exited the feudal era due to peasant uprisings or the "arming of the People" or anything like that. They gave way to the centralized authority of the kings and emperors (usually via violent means, and using the hereditary warrior classes to do so).

The closest thing I can think of to what you are talking about in Europe was what happened with the Swiss and the Italians...but, again, those were infantry forces...but not peasants. The history of places like England, France, Germany, etc. were all examples of royal consolidation over recalcitrant nobles...not the lower classes rising up and challenging the status quo. :wink:
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Thought I would post a link to the testemonials to make all of you drool a bit more.

http://www.albion-swords.com/testimonials.htm

Albion really makes the most beautiful swords...and people rave about them. (Like I do here :lol: )
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeah sure, but that is still bigger than this:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb ... astard.htm
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Yeah sure, but that is still bigger than this:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb ... astard.htm

Actually, they are almost the same length exactly. But that is a wicked looking sword (and I have to say, you surprised me by posting it. I hadn't seen it...I don't usually look at the "squire" line)

Here's the higher-end "Next Generation" version of a sword like that:

Wow...very dangerous (usually by the time you hit the 15th century the swordmaking has really reached its zenith in terms of how good the craft had become. They feel supercharged in your hands compared to the early medieval stuff)

Good find Doc...uber-sweet (and nasty...)

Here's a review of that sword...sounds like something to get (someday... :cry: )
http://www.myarmoury.com/review_alb_cast.html
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby e_room_matt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 pm

What is different about the squire line swords to make them so much cheaper? It can't just be that they are unsharpened because they will sharpen them for $25.
e_room_matt
Satrap

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 am

Steel, materials, grip, and the work spent on decorative work. Also, probably not much time perfecting the blade profile and sharpness. To be honest, I probably wouldn't want a sharpened sword to play with. An actual sword could easily take an arm, leg, or life. That's just me though. I have seen custom knives that can easily take a hand. Now imagine a sword with the same time spent profiling and sharpening. With a good steel alloy as well.

From what I have read in history books, once a real sword connects with your unarmored body, it just sliced you like butter. You can see how simple one can do this with a modern bowie knife. Imagine what somebody can do to you with a sword (or you to yourself when pretending to be a knight).

I really wouldn't recommend many of you actually ordering a sharpened sword. I can think of too many ways that can go wrong for those of us not familiar with swords. You can always send it back to be worked on in the future. Get a good bowie knife, professionally sharpened, and you will see what I mean.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 am

e_room_matt wrote:What is different about the squire line swords to make them so much cheaper? It can't just be that they are unsharpened because they will sharpen them for $25.

I think it is just the decorative stuff (I know it is the same steel and such as the higher end swords...they only have the one sort of steel that they use)
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby T2theC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Camelot.

It's only a model.
http://www.bingethinkinghistory.com

Some things in life are better when they are simple. You are not one of them.
T2theC
Nomarch

Postby e_room_matt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Dan wrote:
e_room_matt wrote:What is different about the squire line swords to make them so much cheaper? It can't just be that they are unsharpened because they will sharpen them for $25.

I think it is just the decorative stuff (I know it is the same steel and such as the higher end swords...they only have the one sort of steel that they use)

Out of curiousity, what do you do with your sword? Is it displayed in your house? Boxed in your attic? Do you use it periodically for anything? If you had to do it over again, or added another to your collection, would you go with an unsharpened blade you could fiddle around with more casually or something more distinctive for display purposes?
e_room_matt
Satrap

Postby Rhoetus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Non-sharp sword? Somehow those words just don't make sense when you put them together.

Alright, I guess if you were a stage actor and wanted to choreograph a fight, fine, go with a dull sword... but if you have one in your house... I can't think of thinking a sword was complete if it wasn't sharp.
We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.
C. S. Lewis
Rhoetus
Satrap

Postby robin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm

They really should have a scabbard too.
Please use the Dan Carlin Amazon Affiliate to buy prodcuts!
http://www.dancarlin.com/amazon
robin
The Boy Wonder

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm

e_room_matt wrote:
Dan wrote:

Out of curiousity, what do you do with your sword? Is it displayed in your house? Boxed in your attic? Do you use it periodically for anything? If you had to do it over again, or added another to your collection, would you go with an unsharpened blade you could fiddle around with more casually or something more distinctive for display purposes?

Oh no...they are sharp as hell. Dangerous as all get out. One is on my wall...the other is sitting in the box it arrived in on my office floor until I can hang it. Occasionally I take them out and cut down a few offending inanimate objects...just to keep their inner spirits assuaged.
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby Rhoetus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Right, Dan...its the inner spirit of the sword thats being assuaged... I'm sure there is no inner vikingr trying to get out of you...
C. S. Lewis
Rhoetus
Satrap

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Area