Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby e_room_matt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Dan wrote:
e_room_matt wrote:Out of curiousity, what do you do with your sword? Is it displayed in your house? Boxed in your attic? Do you use it periodically for anything? If you had to do it over again, or added another to your collection, would you go with an unsharpened blade you could fiddle around with more casually or something more distinctive for display purposes?


Oh no...they are sharp as hell. Dangerous as all get out. One is on my wall...the other is sitting in the box it arrived in on my office floor until I can hang it. Occasionally I take them out and cut down a few offending inanimate objects...just to keep their inner spirits assuaged.

What did you select for your second sword?

And how did you did sell the wife on the program?
User avatar
e_room_matt
Satrap
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Rhoetus wrote:Right, Dan...its the inner spirit of the sword thats being assuaged... I'm sure there is no inner vikingr trying to get out of you...



:lol:

:lol:

Carlin is an Ulster name, is it not?
User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Archon
 
Posts: 36992
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby tdow » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Doc I am going to make you the offer of a lifetime. I am a practicing Western martial artist of a few years experience and the proud owner of a full suit of 15th century Gothic plate armor. I don't have a picture of my suit yet but it's similar to this one.

Image

Here's my offer. You pick out and purchase the highest quality, most expensive Japanese sword you can find. Take as much time as you need to practice your cutting technique and then meet me someplace. I will suit up, but will go unarmed. I won't attack you in any way and will only take evasive action. If you can hurt me to the point where I need some kind of medical attention (broken bones, cuts requiring stitches, etc) I will reimburse you for the sword, buy you all the beer you can drink for the rest of your life, and what they hell, you can spend the night with my girlfriend.

You can probably tell by my tone that I'm 100% confident that the armor will hold up and you won't be able to hurt me. As for me getting tired first let me tell you, I quite often fight while wearing this stuff outside at the height of Summer and as long as I take frequent water breaks I'm fine. Sure it weighs about 80lbs but that weight is distributed evenly over my whole body. Rest assured I can do cartwheels in this armor.

So I'll be waiting for your call, Doc.
tdow
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 am

tdow wrote:Doc I am going to make you the offer of a lifetime. I am a practicing Western martial artist of a few years experience and the proud owner of a full suit of 15th century Gothic plate armor. I don't have a picture of my suit yet but it's similar to this one.

Image

Here's my offer. You pick out and purchase the highest quality, most expensive Japanese sword you can find. Take as much time as you need to practice your cutting technique and then meet me someplace. I will suit up, but will go unarmed. I won't attack you in any way and will only take evasive action. If you can hurt me to the point where I need some kind of medical attention (broken bones, cuts requiring stitches, etc) I will reimburse you for the sword, buy you all the beer you can drink for the rest of your life, and what they hell, you can spend the night with my girlfriend.

You can probably tell by my tone that I'm 100% confident that the armor will hold up and you won't be able to hurt me. As for me getting tired first let me tell you, I quite often fight while wearing this stuff outside at the height of Summer and as long as I take frequent water breaks I'm fine. Sure it weighs about 80lbs but that weight is distributed evenly over my whole body. Rest assured I can do cartwheels in this armor.

So I'll be waiting for your call, Doc.




Err.. if I were a samurai and you were a knight, then maybe that would make sense. Unless you want to stand there while I drive the spike end of war hammer through your chest plate and go to prison for man slaughter. What is the point of this post? I am not a samurai and you are not a knight. You guys also get upset and assume I am all for team samurai and that is untrue.
User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Archon
 
Posts: 36992
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby dapper_tramp » Sun May 08, 2011 12:46 am

Nice sword Dan. As an Armourer and smith i can appreciate the quality workmanship that Albion puts out.

@tdow always nice to see another western martial artist around, what club are you with, if you don't mind me asking.
If your harness is anything like that picture then you own one nice suit of Armour. I've always liked the Gothic design the best. However when making boasts like that remember that your Armour doesn't cover all of your body, if your not attacking any skilled swordsman will take you out well before they get tired.

@Rhoetus as much as it is fun to have a sharpened sword, i must say if you want to do anything with it it much more practical to have it blunted, a well blunted sword will still cut 'inoffensive inanimate objects', if you don't believe me just try playing with a good wooden sword.
As well as this having a rounded edge actually prolongs the life of a sword, with a sharpened sword every time it comes into contact with something of similar hardness, for example another sword or a thick piece of wood having a sharpened edge makes it prone to nicks and micro fractures that over time build up.

@Robin what a lot of people don't recognize is that a good quality scabbard is a work of art (and craft) in and of itself and not just a container for the sword. In the middle ages it wasn't uncommon for knights to spend just as much, if not more on the scabbard then the sword itself. I'd say that Albion is probably just trying to keep the cost down by not forcing people to spend another huge sum of money on the scabbard, especially for display swords.
Let me walk alone, like an elephant in the forest doing no harm and committing few sins
User avatar
dapper_tramp
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 am
Location: Australia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby robin » Sun May 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Dapper Tramp thanks for the post. I think I understand the importance of the scabbard. I believe Albion sells them too, although it looks like their are updating that part of their web site currently. Yes they are as expensive if not more than the sword. They are very ornate and functional at the same time. If I remember correct they should include a fur on the inside that is oiled so every time the sword enters the scabbard you are in fact preserving it. It is a very important piece.
User avatar
robin
The Boy Wonder
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Once I win the lotto, ill be getting this

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/joh ... svante.htm


Seeing that my name is also Nilsson. I have to assume, based on zero evidence, that this is my great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpappy's sword. Maybe I'll march on Stockholm in his honor... :proud:
Oh, the humanity...
User avatar
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 pm

The Mad Zeppelineer wrote:Once I win the lotto, ill be getting this

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/joh ... svante.htm


Seeing that my name is also Nilsson. I have to assume, based on zero evidence, that this is my great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpappy's sword. Maybe I'll march on Stockholm in his honor... :proud:



:lol:

I think you should tell Albion they owe you one just based on prior ownership. :popcorn:
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11324
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Dan wrote:
The Mad Zeppelineer wrote:Once I win the lotto, ill be getting this

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/joh ... svante.htm


Seeing that my name is also Nilsson. I have to assume, based on zero evidence, that this is my great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpappy's sword. Maybe I'll march on Stockholm in his honor... :proud:



:lol:

I think you should tell Albion they owe you one just based on prior ownership. :popcorn:



Fantastic idea! :lol:

All the great Nilssons named their blades. I'm thinking "Charlie", or "Ben" (in Ben's honor of course).
Oh, the humanity...
User avatar
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am

The Mad Zeppelineer wrote:
All the great Nilssons named their blades. I'm thinking "Charlie", or "Ben" (in Ben's honor of course).


Great...so your sword will always be sick.

Not sure you want to allign yourself with that sort of Karma... :goteam: :althurl:
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11324
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby de officiis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm

I guess since this thread is broad enough to cover swords in general, I will post this...

Image

I received this from a relative. The original owners of the weapons are unknown. I think the middle one is a US Calvary saber, and the rest are French bayonets and swords from WW I. If anyone thinks they know enough to either agree or disagree, I would love to hear more.
10. From Alexander the grammarian, to refrain from fault-finding, and not in a reproachful way to chide those who uttered any barbarous or solecistic or strange-sounding expression; but dexterously to introduce the very expression which ought to have been used, and in the way of answer or giving confirmation, or joining in an inquiry about the thing itself, not about the word, or by some other fit suggestion.
User avatar
de officiis
Satrap
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby imperfectionst » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 pm

These swords certainly look nice, something to hang on the wall, but I would rather have something from Cold Steel that I wouldn't be afraid to use. You can get a functional Katana for less than $400!
imperfectionst
Nomarch
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby robin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah High carbon steel is not something you can use.




:shakinghead:

These are very usable weapons and not just wall hangings. IMHO I would go for a double bladed sword over single bladed slashing sword as well.
User avatar
robin
The Boy Wonder
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby cblack.tx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:25 pm

de officiis wrote:I guess since this thread is broad enough to cover swords in general, I will post this...

Image

I received this from a relative. The original owners of the weapons are unknown. I think the middle one is a US Calvary saber, and the rest are French bayonets and swords from WW I. If anyone thinks they know enough to either agree or disagree, I would love to hear more.

Though I am far from an expert, the second from the bottom, the ones without the guards, don't look like what I think of as 20th century swords.

Were French troops really carrying those in 1915?
Random Noise Generator 1390-B
User avatar
cblack.tx
Satrap
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Zaustus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:06 pm

I don't have an Albion sword (though their stuff looks very nice), but I do have a rapier & main gauche combo from Arms & Armor. http://www.armor.com/rapier163.html
Image
User avatar
Zaustus
Contributing Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Location: Pasco, WA

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests