Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey everyone.

I just posted a new blog entry ( http://www.dancarlin.com/blog.php ) explaining why you are going to hear me talk about this company I love for a while (and why you will see their banner ads on this website in a few places). If you eventually get tired of me singing their praises, that just puts you in the same position everyone else who lives around me is in :lol:

They make awesome stuff.

http://www.albion-swords.com/
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Benkei » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Should we be querying your integrity now Dan? Are your future recommendations for downsizing military spending going to start leaning towards a 'return to the days of chivalry and honor, where men were men, and fought face to face'? Has the MIC finally gotten to you Dan...?

... watchin you.. :hmph:
The above information is fictional, any reference to individuals either living or dead is purely coincidental, and any facts presented should be scrutinized with extreme prejudice.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking. - John Maynard Keynes.
User avatar
Benkei
Nomarch
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Benkei wrote:Are your future recommendations for downsizing military spending going to start leaning towards a 'return to the days of chivalry and honor, where men were men, and fought face to face'?


Yes. :InsectQueen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgIhsWG ... re=related


(Hey, even though these Albion's aren't cheap...they still are a bargain compared to the Abrams and the new fighter planes on the horizon! I am doing us all a favor... :goteam: )
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Quasigriz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 pm

I seem to remember dan mentioning s-words before....
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
User avatar
Quasigriz
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 6572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:59 am
Location: The 50th State

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Carlus Magnus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 pm

So what did you buy Dan ?
Molon Labe
User avatar
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Carlus Magnus wrote:So what did you buy Dan ?


I have owned this model for several years now
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb ... ht-xii.htm

It is really the prototypical 13th/14th century knight's sword (it is incredibly balanced and quick for a sword of it's dimensions. Scary sharp as well).

Here's an independent review of this Albion model: http://www.myarmoury.com/review_alb_knight.html

Image
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Carlus Magnus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

I saw a history channel show once and they took a similiar long sword and showed what it did to a side of pork, devastating.

Years ago I was in an Army ceremonial, mounted color guard. It was the best duty in the world. Riding horses for a living. We were very much into the history of the US Cavalry and set up the historic US Sabre qualification course. It was very challenging, trying to get accurate sword strikes in on a immoble target while riding past.

I gained a great respect for the mounted warriors who came before me.
Molon Labe
User avatar
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Benkei » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 pm

The day I know I've 'made it', is the day I buy a full authentic Daisho

Image

One of the most beautiful of man's creations.
The above information is fictional, any reference to individuals either living or dead is purely coincidental, and any facts presented should be scrutinized with extreme prejudice.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking. - John Maynard Keynes.
User avatar
Benkei
Nomarch
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Carlus Magnus wrote:I saw a history channel show once and they took a similiar long sword and showed what it did to a side of pork, devastating.

Years ago I was in an Army ceremonial, mounted color guard. It was the best duty in the world. Riding horses for a living. We were very much into the history of the US Cavalry and set up the historic US Sabre qualification course. It was very challenging, trying to get accurate sword strikes in on a immoble target while riding past.

I gained a great respect for the mounted warriors who came before me.


Well, I have also handled swords from the Napoleonic era, and there is no comparison. For whatever reason (mass production probably) the more modern swords that were used by military forces after about 1700 were crap (with some exceptions always of course) compared to the stuff that was made in an era when there were the primary weapons of war.
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Benkei wrote:The day I know I've 'made it', is the day I buy a full authentic Daisho



One of the most beautiful of man's creations.


No question, the Japanese (and the Syrians) make gorgeous swords. They always have. The difference between them and the Western swords is that the Japanese never stopped making them. The Western tradition had become almost extinct until relatively recent times. To have medieval type swords available again is a bit like something from Jurassic Park! Peter Johnsson is doing a lot to single-handedly recreate these things from surviving museum pieces. (look at what he did to recreate THIS one:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/joh ... svante.htm )

Here's the finished product:
Image
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Carlus Magnus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Dan wrote:
Well, I have also handled swords from the Napoleonic era, and there is no comparison. For whatever reason (mass production probably) the more modern swords that were used by military forces after about 1700 were crap (with some exceptions always of course) compared to the stuff that was made in an era when there were the primary weapons of war.


The oldest swords I've handled were a set of 1859 artillery officer swords we had in our arsenal. So now I am intrigued.

We used pumpkins for target practice and when you got a good blow in with even a blunt blade the sabre would slice right through it. I can't imagine how much more effective one of the legendary damascas steel or toledo blades would have done.
Molon Labe
User avatar
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:37 am

Carlus Magnus wrote:
Dan wrote:
Well, I have also handled swords from the Napoleonic era, and there is no comparison. For whatever reason (mass production probably) the more modern swords that were used by military forces after about 1700 were crap (with some exceptions always of course) compared to the stuff that was made in an era when there were the primary weapons of war.


The oldest swords I've handled were a set of 1859 artillery officer swords we had in our arsenal. So now I am intrigued.

We used pumpkins for target practice and when you got a good blow in with even a blunt blade the sabre would slice right through it. I can't imagine how much more effective one of the legendary damascas steel or toledo blades would have done.


The blades from the era you reference tend to be heavy and have a "dead" feel to them. They really were almost ceremonial by that time (not exclusively, but almost) and were, by and large, mass produced by large firms that cranked them out. During the Napoleonic wars, cavalry sometimes were so frustrated with the quality of their swords that they used them as clubs instead. This is not a good period for sword making (the Japanese are, of course, excepted from this. Their quality was always very high).

The European swords from Medieval (and especially Renaissance) times were fabulous marvels of engineering. They are nothing like the sword you handled (even the heavy cutting weapons from the Dark Ages are much more "alive" in your hand than the dead swords from the 1700s to modern times).
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby BjornP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 am

I might someday in the far future, when I'm no longer a student, and done paying at least half of my student loans, get one of them swords. However, in the more immidiate future there's something I would look more forward to. Something historic, something as far as I know unprecedented:

Listening to an audio commercial ad for swords, done by you. :goteam: Please Dan, when you talk of the albion swords site, use the same tone of voice you use for audible.com. xD It would, for unexplained reasons, just be awesome. :worship:

"Got a dragon problem? Tax collector demanding a tip? Need an accessory to your suit? Albion has a sword for every occasion! Buy now and save our operating damsels from distress."
Check your privilege of expecting to be taken seriously.
User avatar
BjornP
Satrap
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Aalborg, Denmark

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Carlus Magnus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Dan wrote: They are nothing like the sword you handled (even the heavy cutting weapons from the Dark Ages are much more "alive" in your hand than the dead swords from the 1700s to modern times).


I am going to have to find a place that stocks these things.


Dan you are going to need this sign on your front door
Attachments
longsword.JPG
longsword.JPG (24.04 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Molon Labe
User avatar
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dan's Albion Sword Obsession

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 pm

BjornP wrote:I might someday in the far future, when I'm no longer a student, and done paying at least half of my student loans, get one of them swords. However, in the more immidiate future there's something I would look more forward to. Something historic, something as far as I know unprecedented:

Listening to an audio commercial ad for swords, done by you. :goteam: Please Dan, when you talk of the albion swords site, use the same tone of voice you use for audible.com. xD It would, for unexplained reasons, just be awesome. :worship:

"Got a dragon problem? Tax collector demanding a tip? Need an accessory to your suit? Albion has a sword for every occasion! Buy now and save our operating damsels from distress."


Wish Granted.
You will get it in the next HH show! :popcorn:
User avatar
Dan
Master of Ceremonies
 
Posts: 11339
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Next

Return to Off Topic Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests