* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Get us Publicity and we will give you...
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 am 
Contributing Member

Have often heard the Amazon ad on your shows, but I didn't realise that I could use it (I'm in the UK).

Maybe a modified ad saying that it works internationally? I don't buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but I would be happy to give Dan whatever I can.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm 

Maybe adding google adsense ad to your site wouldn't hurt. They're pretty small, but you'd probably only get a little extra $ and maybe you don't want any ads on your site.

I wonder if Dan gets any kickbacks from audible if you already have an account? I buy from audible several times a month, but don't know if it will do anything if I use Dan's link since I already have account, I'll try though. I keep forgetting on the rare times I buy from Amazon.

Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
- "The Character of Man," Mark Twain's Autobiography

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm 
The Boy Wonder

We tried google adsense. We decided against it on the last election cycle. The ads placed on our site were not what we want.

You can install an amazon firefox plugin to make ordering easier.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24679

Is the topic with the link. Or you could use the search bar in my signature.

:goteam:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm 

Thanks Robin, that Amazon search bar should help. :-)

You've probably thought if everything I have, but I still think some kind of contest where Dan's fans can compete to get you the most new listeners. Through blogs, or youtube or something trackable like that might be exciting. Anyway keep up the good work, great podcasts!

Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
- "The Character of Man," Mark Twain's Autobiography

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member

I still plan to make a HH poster for you guys...I just developed a nasty case of tendinitis and haven't been able to draw lately.
In the meantime I'll continue putting up the CS posters and demanding that friends listen to the show. :innocent:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Master of Ceremonies

LoadingPleaseWait wrote:
I still plan to make a HH poster for you guys...I just developed a nasty case of tendinitis and haven't been able to draw lately.
In the meantime I'll continue putting up the CS posters and demanding that friends listen to the show. :innocent:

...And we will continue to be grateful for your help! :hugs:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 pm 

I'm not sure if it's helping or not, but I've started my own podcast recently and I take every opportunity to tell my meager following about both Dan Carlin shows. I let my listeners know to check out individual episodes and, if they like what they hear, to come here to the website and spend some money or to use the Amazon link.

My show isn't about history or politics most of the time, but I know that some of my video game nerd listeners are becoming Dan Carlin fans. I saw on iTunes that people who subscribe to my show also subscribed to Common Sense and Hardcore History. I get inspired listening to both shows, so I'll keep letting people know about them. Keep up the good work.

Oh, if anyone here is interested, my show is called The Drive Show with Dan. If you search for that on iTunes, you'll find me. Or you can go to http://longbaugh.podbean.com/ and download the episodes there. I rave about Hardcore History in Episode 2. Thanks.

~Dan S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm 
Contributing Member

thedude wrote:
do a book like carlin and some other comedians and broadcasters do

just publish trandscrpts of your shows binded in a nifty collection

the fans might buy it and new people wont know its recycled ( other than the talking about elections and current events etc etc etc.)

History does not get as dated as "current" events. Especially Hardcore History. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:07 pm 
Contributing Member

Speaking of weird ways to get Ben money for a cure:
Use the Amazon link to order Amazon gift cards which you use to buy stuff through the Amazon link.

Here is one that may only work for Mac users using Safari. Amazon has an add-on that let's you wishlist anything on the Internet. Wishlist a T-shirt. Then through the Amazon link buy it off of your wish list.

There has to be a catch, but I can't find it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm 
Contributing Member

Waleis wrote:
theradicalcleric wrote:
Hey Dan what about getting you as a guest on other podcasts? I dn't care about getting anything form you, but are you up to it? Depends on the show I'm sure.

No Illusions with Cameron Reilly. I think you two could have a pretty good discussion and it might get more exposure for both of you?

Sometimes a middle man is the only way this shit will happen.

This is a really good idea. Try getting on the Joe Rogan podcast, or maybe make another appearance on the Young Turks!

Joe Rogan? Hey, I love Joe Rogan but first we have to do an add for the flesh light then get Dan and Joey Diaz on the Susquehanna Weed. :lol:

Um, I don't think that would be good publicity (Though I, for one, would find it hilarious.)

Like I said, I love Joe Rogan, but pass the freakin' joint already. :lol:

If he does comedy it should be something like the Adam Carolla podcast where Adam can do an angry riff on whatever government issue comes up.

But first Dan needs to either become friends with Adam or write a book or something so it isn't "You want us to book who? Who?"

Since we are brainstorming here, how about the Dennis Miller show?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:03 am 

I think Dan and Joe would have a great conversation. Dan doesnt have to do the things he does that's his choice. What Joe can provide is a great platform and that is what we need. He has strong followers and if Joe thinks Dan is cool then that would add Tens of thousands of fans :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 am 
Contributing Member

Since we are brain storming and even the most hair brained ideas are useful - Penn's Sunday School. Penn is an atheist and Libertarian who happens to juggle and not shut up while Teller does the magic show. Dan would have to read the news (a yahoo story to make fun of politics, natch.) He has open auditions for news readers and it has become news reader of the week. Oh, Dan, get at least one monkey story. (Monkey's include chimps - I know, but "monkey" is a funnier word than "primate," if you are Penn.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:16 pm 

Has anyone considered trying to get Dan as a speaker on TED or TEDX?
We can nominated Dan here: http://www.ted.com/pages/speakingatted

I am behind on the common sense shows because I listen during my vacations, however I just listened to Episode 235-This is DNN.
I don't know what progress Dan is having reforming CNN, however TED would certainly be a place where Dan could discuss some of his plans for reforming news outlets. Not only would he get a ton of new listeners from the TED audience, he would also be able to get out his plan or ideas to the TED audience who would have both the motivation and most likely the resources to help him actually execute his plan.

Again, a lot I'm sure has happened since this episode, but I think Dan's ideas, whatever he would choose to talk about, would be well-received by the TED community.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
Satrap

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that. It could be a great Idea if Dan is half as good on stage as he is on recorded audio or video.

Whaddya think Dan? Do you think you might could fill 18 minutes? :altwink: