Get us Publicity and we will give you...

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Get us Publicity and we will give you...

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 pm

From the latest Blog entry:

I am trying to come up with some creative ways to help us tell more people about the podcast(s). The latest idea is to offer an incentive for people to help.

Now that our shopping cart “seems” to be working (see it here: http://www.dancarlin.com/dcosc ) we can offer free downloads of our archived shows as a sort of “prize” for getting us some pub/coverage/exposure. So, if Person A writes an email to Newspaper B and they do a story on us, we will allow Person A to download either all our pas t “Common Sense” episodes or all our archived “Hardcore History” episodes for free from the shopping cart.

There is no real time limit on this “Bounty paid for Pub” idea. Until we announce something to the contrary, this deal is in force. (And while we appreciate it a ton, we can't give out prizes for simply “trying”...if we did, everyone would get a prize!).

Some ideas of places to email in search of possible coverage: College newspapers, alternative newspapers, online political or tech websites or columnists, or even political or tech related TV or radio programs/shows. I am sure there are others we didn't even consider.

Whatever you can do will be greatly appreciated (and results rewarded!) because, as you know, “Ben is sick again, ladies and gentlemen. That's right...”
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Re: Get us Publicity and we will give you...

Postby Galen120 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:05 am

Interesting strategy. I thought of college newspapers as soon as I started reading this so I think I got what you want.

It would help the cause if you could allow us to have a stand alone podcast that we could also send as an example of your show instead of asking them to subscribe then ask them if they are interested in doing an interview.

It would also help if we had kind of a mission statement of your podcast.

For instance: The Bi Partisan generation X alternative to broken system...

Ok I am not good at brainstorming that one.

But something that kinda has a "movement" kinda feel so that there is some kind of hook for a story that is obvious.

Am I making sense?
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. ~Fight Club
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Galen120 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:05 am

How about you make availible "History under the influence" and Maybe one of the more recent Common Sense.

I am about to listen to the newest.

No only does "History under the influence" have a nice catch for college newspapers but it was damn interesting.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. ~Fight Club
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Quasigriz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 am

Now I might have to make a call to Rush, O'reilly and all the other talking heads. :D
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Galen120 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:36 am

Quasigriz wrote:Now I might have to make a call to Rush, O'reilly and all the other talking heads. :D

Wouldn't it be a trip if we could get many people from the board to do that?
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:27 am

Galen...what do you mean by "make available"? All that stuff IS available. Just paste the link in any email you send.

For example...for "History under the influence" here's the link (available right here on the website) http://dancarlinhh.libsyn.com/media/dan ... luence.mp3

People can play it just by clicking on the link in their email.

Am I missing something? I think that is what you are asking for...

And thanks for the enthusiasm guys! :)
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby Galen120 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:35 am

Dan wrote:Galen...what do you mean by "make available"? All that stuff IS available. Just paste the link in any email you send.

For example...for "History under the influence" here's the link (available right here on the website) http://dancarlinhh.libsyn.com/media/dan ... luence.mp3

People can play it just by clicking on the link in their email.

Am I missing something? I think that is what you are asking for...

And thanks for the enthusiasm guys! :)

I get my podcast from itunes and had no idea I could do that.

I'll send something later today after a grab a coffee.
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Thothgirl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:07 am

go to your local school campus with a radio station, ask if they will play a podcast. you can also try booking lectures with poli-sci classes in the area, and out of the area. pretty much what you need to break beyond this point is radio and face time. do a lecture cirucit, find out where your devoted fans (us) are and see about making a round to local schools from there (ask if any one is willing to put you up for a day or two to cut down on travel expences). it would be a bitch and a half but would get you the desired results. you can also give lectures in a public forum (not sure how but pretty sure it can be done) a Facebook and LiveJournal Profile or (gods forbid) myspace would also increae your exposure.
Americans, taken as a whole, make the British aristocracy, look like a bunch of Pinkos. - Smitty-48
Thothgirl

Postby Galen120 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:26 am

That is a good idea.
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Quasigriz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:30 am

I can't believe that in this era of wearing one's politics on one's sleeves, that you guys haven't come up with a bumper sticker.... :?
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Galen120 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:57 am

Ok done. Let's see if Pitt is interested.
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby Spinny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Obviously this graphic won't scale nicely, as I don't have access to a large-scale of the original graphic, but it should do for a proof of concept:

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Spinny
Spinny Spamkiller

Postby Loki » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I have printed about a hundred "business cards" on one side you have the CS eyes, the other http://www.dancarlin.com , I also have a HH version.

I just leave these everywhere I go. Restaurants, the University, doctors office, state capitol :P all over the place. I made it veaige enough so people might check it out rather then have any writing on it.

The problem with this method of course is you can't measure the outcome. But I kinda think its fun... Ya, I need a hobby.

Loki

I have put out about 50 of each so far. all over the Salem/Eugene area.
1984 was not intended to be an instructional manual...
Loki
Nomarch

Postby Quasigriz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 am

BrianMc wrote:I have printed about a hundred "business cards" on one side you have the CS eyes, the other http://www.dancarlin.com , I also have a HH version.

I just leave these everywhere I go. Restaurants, the University, doctors office, state capitol :P all over the place. I made it veaige enough so people might check it out rather then have any writing on it.

The problem with this method of course is you can't measure the outcome. But I kinda think its fun... Ya, I need a hobby.

Loki

I have put out about 50 of each so far. all over the Salem/Eugene area.

Loki, that's a brilliant idea. I'd even say something like that could be offered at the store. Here are my suggestions:

-Bumper stickers
-A less busy t-shirt: Eyes pic center front of shirt with dancarlin.com on the bottom right of it and some phrase on the back like "its just common sense" or BroSpin's "Got COMMON SENSE?" (and also some sort of girl's tee as well, I'm sure Carrot or someone would buy 'em)
-Perhaps some little buttons (great for college backpacks)
-Perhaps the business cards (activist pack?)

I would also be nice to see a t-shirt contest: Picture of you infront of major landmarks or public officials sporting a Carlin shirt.

Stuff like that. Grass roots and all.
Griz

-Edward R. Murrow

Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Loki » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 am

Well, all of those things can be made on a home computer.

I suppose this is in lieu of Dan coming out with his book that we can wave at rallies. A sort of "manifesto" as it were....

I am adding the front of the card I leave around. I have a bumper sticker concept and a button also.. The template for the bumper sticker can be found at a staples or office depot.

Loki
1984 was not intended to be an instructional manual...
Loki
Nomarch

Next

Return to Off Topic Area