* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Creepiest Things in History
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
Hetairoi

I'm detecting some enmity in this thread...

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Contributing Member

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
*cough* Niven *cough* Pournelle.

This is going to sound shitty but the only book I've read by Larry Niven was The Draco Tavern. I know, I know. Ringworld.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:27 pm 
Archon

Waleis wrote:
I'm detecting some enmity in this thread...

Tell me about it.
You know how long it took to cite that article and break the facts out so you guys can quickly peruse what TMZ's article says? Took some time, bro. But since it once again made Mr. "OMG! OMG! They're launching missiles over California" appear silly it's obviously time to denounce my board presence.
http://www.dancarlin.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24404&hilit=missile+california
I add nothing.
(Because only woo-woo claims add anything to the board)

lulz
Wish I could get the taxpayers to buy me some of those meds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Archon

The Mote in God's Eye

That's all you need to know. Greatest novel in hard science fiction. The best military science fiction novel too. Heinlein himself remarked that it was the finest science fiction novel he ever read.

Ringworld is good too. In Known Space, my favorites are Protector and the newer Fleet of World series. I really like the revamped Sigmund Ausfaller. I am currently half way through the fourth book. I am still waiting for what I am convinced must be a fourth death and rebirth event where Ausfaller survives near death again and is reborn as a Protector. I don't know how it ends though. Just my guess. I like how it begins with how he always knew it would end horribly. Then he survives death three times to be reborn into some new role on his path to mental health (not paranoid).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 pm 
Archon

That's right trek. Keep up the only thing you can contribute. More grief. More animosity. More stress. Drag your bullshit from thread-to-thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:39 pm 
Archon

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
That's right trek. Keep up the only thing you can contribute. More grief. More animosity. More stress. Drag your bullshit from thread-to-thread.

I'm planning on adding dubious sob stories, random rage at libertarians and non-Christians, and pages of self pity to my repitoire, but I don't want to encroach to deeply on your territory.
:wink:

I hope me mentioning that doesn't detract from the wonderful Sci-Fi reviews you're outlining in the 'Creepiest Things In History' thread. Apparently you're done talking about the Battle Over Los Angeles after reaching the conclusion that I suck and facts don't matter. So . . . I'm game to talk Sci-Fi if that's where the thread is going now. But it's hard to keep up when every bi-polar post of yours is swinging in some random direction.

So . . . is it Sci-Fi now? Is that what we're talking?
In that case I'd say Tom Godwin's The Cold Equations is among the creepiest Sci-Fi out there.
It's short, too.
No excuse for not reading it.
Or, if you're lazy, listen to it:
http://www.archive.org/download/XMinus1_A/xminusone_550825_ColdEquations.mp3
:goteam:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm 
Archon

So would would you decide the girl goes out the air lock, or train her how to land the thing, with instructions from ground crew to aid her, and jump out yourself? Which would you do? Or did you find a more interesting solution? I couldn't do it to her. She was perfectly innocent and devoted to reconciliation with her husband. I would give a decent chance to land it, and then step out on que. I can't live with the alternative. Can you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 pm 
Nomarch

The answer is simple. Amputate her arms and legs and one of your own legs. Everybody wins. :empty:

So as long as there are a handful of americans allied with terrorist organizations we will continue this surveillance of all americans and these wartime authorities to detain enemy combatants indefinitely... or execute them summarily...

...Because terrorists might take their puny little militaries and conquer our country.

This is a war on fleas.

-DrYouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 pm 
Archon

I don't know what I'd do.
I think that's one of the things that makes it a good story.
If I had a wife and kids back home it would be hard to eradicate myself on account of a stow-away. If I were single and ninety it would be easier.

Probably . . . I'd test the math and try landing us both . . . and hope that some un-considered force (solar wind at my back, thin spot in the atmosphere . . . something) would give me a human-sized margin of error.

. . . which would probaly result in both of our deaths, but at least it's an egalitarian solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm 
Archon

X Minus One had fantastic dramatizations of Zero Hour and And the Moon Be Still as Bright.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm 
Archon

DBTrek wrote:
I don't know what I'd do.
I think that's one of the things that makes it a good story.
If I had a wife and kids back home it would be hard to eradicate myself on account of a stow-away. If I were single and ninety it would be easier.

Probably . . . I'd test the math and try landing us both . . . and hope that some un-considered force (solar wind at my back, thin spot in the atmosphere . . . something) would give me a human-sized margin of error.

. . . which would probaly result in both of our deaths, but at least it's an egalitarian solution.

It depends upon the spacecraft itself too. It may be possible use the atmospheric drag to bleed off much of your velocity, rather than burning what is left of your fuel to do it. Then you will adjust to reach some oblique orbit that puts you back on course for a favorable reentry point. Use what is left of your fuel to further slow you down and to guide the ship to reentry. If there were no such plans, and I had a child while she obviously had none, then I would ask her to do it. If I did not have children, I would do it. If we both had children... I don't know. That one would tear me apart. Frankly, I think my decision would arrive at a resolution to walk out the hatch. I would be unable to live with sending a young mother to her death. Fortunately, she had no children and neither did he. So it really came down to an obvious solution, assuming no new solutions are found. I train her how to land as quickly as is possible. Establish a real time link where ground crew can walk her through it. Then walk out the hatch, hoping that she make it and reunite with her estranged husband.

When I failed that one time back in 2002, for a very long time, it felt kind of like a ghost was stalking me. I don't mean literally, just the way I felt. Now if I faced a similar situation where I must die to save that one perfectly innocent young woman, then the fear of that guilt along could be sufficient. All the other drives for old time values and chivalry are important. But I have to admit, I am terrified of that weight again. It's kind of like I share my life with her. Not really, obviously. But I constantly have her there and it's like sharing, I guess? I know it sounds absolutely crazy. It probably is. But for that reason, I would step out that platform.

But.. yeah.. that episode was extremely well crafted and disturbing. I liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:45 pm 
Nomarch

As much as I like classic Science Fiction, can you folks create a different thread for it? Little pieces of the subject seem to keep creeping into many threads; it seems obvious it's a subject people would like to talk about more in depth. Myself included.
Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein... :inlove:

Back on subject, here's some more things that really give me goosebumps.

A video of a fatal diving accident, from the view of the victim. As if the ocean didn't scare me enough already. :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY

The "Dead Hand" system alleged to be used by the Russians. If the country was wiped out(or a significant computer glitch occured); automatic ICBM strikes against their rivals.
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/ ... f_deadhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 am 

navy62802 wrote:
podm wrote:
navy62802 wrote:
But back to the OP. I find the anomolies throughout history to be the creepiest thing by far. Anomolies suggest there are parts of human history that have been lost to us.

The creation/purpose of The Great Pyramids and Nazca Lines? What are your picks for historic anomalies? I actually saw some pictures of supposedly "very" ancient ruins in South Africa. I wonder what the studies will reveal. Anyways, you should take a look and tell me what you think..

Well, right off the top of my head, there are the Antikythera Mechanism from ancient Greece and the Baghdad Battery (a few of which have been found in the area around Baghdad) from ancient Iraq. I'm also fascinated with the mathematics and geographical precision buried within the pyramids at Giza. Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe was one of my favorite TV programs when I was a kid.

Ok navy, now you are really trailing your coat :SilentRage: .

The Antikythera Mechanism is really really cool, but I don't get why it is anomalous or "creepy." Same with the pyramids.

I don't believe the Baghdad "Batteries" were batteries. They wouldn't function as batteries without modification, and there is no adequate evidence. Given that similar artifacts to the "rod" part have been found elsewhere, and were rods for scrolls, and that papyrus fragments were supposedly found in one of the battery jars (the excavation was basically looting and there were no notes, which is a huge problem) it is likely that these jars were storage vessels for scrolls. They also appear to have been buried in house floors (again, no solid provenience).
If they were batteries, it would be interesting but hardly earth-shaking. There is actually some evidence of electroplating from contemporary sites in South America, which is even better evidence of something like a battery.

On the topic, I'd always found the "screaming mummies" classically creepy until I learned more about decomposition. Otherwise most of the stuff I find creepy is just plain disturbing and often tragic--the sad sordid human side of history.

(Bertolt Brecht)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 am 
Archon

Dark Age of Greece anyone?

Or do you all not know about the missing centuries of Greek History where cities seemed to be vacated en masse for unknown reasons . . . as if the Greeks just randomly decided to wander in to the countryside and abandon civilization?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 am 
Contributing Member

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
The Mote in God's Eye

Good to know. When I have the extra cash I'll be sure to nab it. Ever heard of Yukikaze by Chokei Kambayashi? Air Force based Sci-Fi novel. Pretty bad ass. It's my favorite along with The Forever War. :inlove:

Now, getting back on topic..

Nan Madol