Energy and stuff; where do we go?

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Energy and stuff; where do we go?

Postby Atanamis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am

hondo69 wrote:No, the government essentially held a contest for companies to compete by offering cash to the most successful enterprise. They announced the contest then got the hell out of the way.
Asking people to do work on spec like that though isn't necessarily fair. To put companies in a position where they have to put up massive financial risk with the knowledge that only one of them gets paid isn't always a good idea. On the other hand, if a company makes a bid for a project and then fails to deliver, the government is often far too merciful about throwing good money after bad and providing undeserved profits to the faulty contractor. I think the balance is in the middle somewhere.
Atanamis
Hetairoi

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Fantastic 2 part podcast on Energy on CBC...

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2012/03/12/demon-coal-part-1/

It's called "demon coal", but don't let that get you down, it actually goes pretty far towards "undemonizing" coal, while at the same time maintaining plenty of reasons for diversifying energy sources. (You might skip over the first 15-20 min where they linger on coal mining disasters.... that's the weakest part of the program.)
These programs actually injects a strong element of skepticism regarding global warming (I personally think they err on the side of too much credit towards skeptics, but that's a minor quibble) - usually clear headed skeptics (when you can find any) are given too little shrift...

It's a good listen when it comes to evaluating many of the ideas out there for diversifying energy production. It also does a good job of exposing the cap and trade boondoggle.
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby hondo69 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Atanamis wrote:
hondo69 wrote:No, the government essentially held a contest for companies to compete by offering cash to the most successful enterprise. They announced the contest then got the hell out of the way.
Asking people to do work on spec like that though isn't necessarily fair. To put companies in a position where they have to put up massive financial risk with the knowledge that only one of them gets paid isn't always a good idea. On the other hand, if a company makes a bid for a project and then fails to deliver, the government is often far too merciful about throwing good money after bad and providing undeserved profits to the faulty contractor. I think the balance is in the middle somewhere.

These companies are typically knee deep into research and development well before any contests come rolling along. They also have a good deal of capital tied up in prototypes and experimentation. Once a contest is announced, they can decide if the contest parameters fit their existing path of development or not.

What if that $550 million for Solyndra were divvied up among several companies that had to compete for a prize? Makes a lot more sense then throwing money at an enterprise that was a likely looser then sticking the taxpayers for the tab.

I'm hoping they announce a trial date soon for the Solyndra scandal by the way. An election year would be an ideal time to trot out a few scoundrels before the American public. Might get dicey, though, if one of the scoundrels is running for reelection.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby hondo69 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 am

hondo69
Nomarch

Postby Quasigriz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:34 pm

hondo69 wrote:If I was this scientist I'd go into hiding and hire a team of bodyguards.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-03/shockwave-generating-wave-discs-could-replace-cars-internal-combustion-engines

Very cool. When I first saw your link I was thinking it was this, WardsAuto reports that Connecticut-based Laser Power Systems is “getting closer” to developing a prototype electric car which develops its power using the radioactive heavy metal Thorium.

Both are cool techs i'd like to see. But they would need to be put in cool cars like this:
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Vox Contra » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 pm

hondo69 wrote:If I was this scientist I'd go into hiding and hire a team of bodyguards.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-03/shockwave-generating-wave-discs-could-replace-cars-internal-combustion-engines

Interesting design,
Combining a radial turbine with dieseling to eliminate the need for an intake turbine and eclectically triggered ignition. Many fewer parts and much less size. I wonder what kind of compression pressures it generates and if it's at all able to be tuned to use different fuel sources or run at variable speeds.
The 60% efficiency sounds good at face value, but you'd still have to hook it to an electrical generator to get the kind of torque needed to push the wheels. Those are going to come with their own efficiency losses, and you probably wouldn't be able to have the engine take over at high speeds like current hybrids, so they might need to throw a transition between the electric motor and the wheels, or it'd have a pretty limited top speed. But even with those, starting out @ 60% efficiency instead of the 20-30% of an IC engine is a move in the right direction.
“The truth springs from arguments amongst friends.”
― David Hume
Vox Contra
Nomarch

Postby hondo69 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 am

I was hoping to see some numbers on % of energy lost to heat.

For example, if they assume an overall 60% efficiency it doesn't necessarily mean 40% is lost to heat. As noted above, there are other factors that cut into that efficiency ration too. Friction, conversion, heat are just a few.
hondo69
Nomarch

Previous

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas