Interviews of military personnel or veterans

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Interviews of military personnel or veterans

Postby samsmart » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm

I was just curious - what are the chances that Dan could start doing regular interviews of military personnel for the "Common Sense" audience?

I would really like to know what our men and women in the armed forces think of what's going on in the country, especially those particular things that Dan comments on relating to the military, such as intelligence gathering, executive war powers, and defense spending. It would be very interesting to hear what those involved in that have to say on those topics since all those things determine how they do their job.

Even if it would be difficult to interview currently serving personnel I think it would be good to hear what veterans think of the shape of the U.S. as well.

And, while I'm thinking on it, since Common Sense has a pretty international audience, hearing from servicemen and veterans of other countries would be interesting as well.
samsmart
Contributing Member

Re: Interviews of military personnel or veterans

Postby AverageJoe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 am

samsmart wrote:I was just curious - what are the chances that Dan could start doing regular interviews of military personnel for the "Common Sense" audience?

I would really like to know what our men and women in the armed forces think of what's going on in the country, especially those particular things that Dan comments on relating to the military, such as intelligence gathering, executive war powers, and defense spending. It would be very interesting to hear what those involved in that have to say on those topics since all those things determine how they do their job.

Even if it would be difficult to interview currently serving personnel I think it would be good to hear what veterans think of the shape of the U.S. as well.

And, while I'm thinking on it, since Common Sense has a pretty international audience, hearing from servicemen and veterans of other countries would be interesting as well.

As a current active duty NCO, I would not suggest trying to interview active duty personnel. The fallout could be pretty huge as the military doesn't take too kindly to Soldiers/Sailors/Airman/Marines bitching and moaning on an interview. Its essentially a huge mine field for the interviewee and a potential career killer if someone in their chain takes issue with anything they stated.

Veterans will be able discuss the ideas but I would recommend interviewing several with varying political view points (Independent, Republican and a Democrat) to get the full outlook on the issues you listed.
Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby The Road Rascal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, you'd need to alter their voice and censor out any especially revealing details. Honestly though, I'd be more interested in hearing stories from non-American soldiers. A Russian with Afghan War experience would be quite the jackpot.
The Road Rascal
Nomarch

Postby KingKoosII » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm

I expect there is a great deal of the sort of material you describe out there. An internet site compiling it all would certainly be an interesting venture, become a useful archive and encourage the creation of more.

I can, however, think of some veterans who would more likely become quite irritated about being asked about the past too frequently.
"We have resolved to pave the way for a grand peace for all the generations to come by enduring the unendurable and suffering what is unsufferable."
Emperor Hirohito
KingKoosII
Contributing Member

Postby Galen120 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

I would be fine with it.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. ~Fight Club
Galen120
Nomarch

Postby denotsKO » Sat May 26, 2012 1:38 am

I'll be on with Dan. I'm not a combat vet, but I'm a retiree that joined the army before 9:11 & served until 2008 when I was medically retired due to M.S. From 2005 till now I have been at the US Army hospital in Germany. (05-08 enlisted, 08-present as a civilian) I've been pulling wounded soldiers off buses the whole time as they pass through on their way home from Iraq & Afghanistan.

I think I'm interesting. :wink:
denotsKO

Postby AverageJoe » Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 am

denotsKO wrote:I'll be on with Dan. I'm not a combat vet, but I'm a retiree that joined the army before 9:11 & served until 2008 when I was medically retired due to M.S. From 2005 till now I have been at the US Army hospital in Germany. (05-08 enlisted, 08-present as a civilian) I've been pulling wounded soldiers off buses the whole time as they pass through on their way home from Iraq & Afghanistan.

I think I'm interesting. :wink:

LRMC eh? That is some heartbreaking stuff to see those guys and gals getting pulled off those buses but they are in great hands there and Bethesda/Walter Reed.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby denotsKO » Sat May 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah. I've had enough. I'm coming home this summer. Will be working with the VA, so I'll still be hanging with survivors.

Too many times I've had friends & family call in the middle of the night saying their son, father, brother, etc was on a flight coming in. I go meet them and do my best to be like family while they are here. I make their stay as good as it can be while I can & relay messages to their family back home. I'm really sick of seeing legless kids though. Really sick.
denotsKO

Postby thomas vesely » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm

a great idea, ask them how far they would go, shoot american protestors, yes or not.
the progress in theater as perceived by them.
thomas vesely
Contributing Member

Postby castlelong1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:26 pm

thomas vesely wrote:a great idea, ask them how far they would go, shoot american protestors, yes or not.

That question, no matter how it is answered, would be difficult for active duty personnel to answer honestly without fear of retribution from higher ups. Even if it was pixelated and stuff the interviewee has got to be wondering about leaks.
Picking the lesser of two evils is like choosing between Lex Luthor and Cthulhu. You become THE reason Lex Luthor is President.
castlelong1
Contributing Member

Postby Truthaperture » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm

In all seriousness, you really have to come up with a particular question or a series of questions and a particular person in mind for this idea to be interesting. Too many of my Family members and arm length away neighbors are active or retired military, and there is no way I would want to hear their boorish and dull ideas about the current state of american affairs on Dan's show. What would be some good questions?
“Don’t let anyone drive you crazy when you know it is walking distance.”
Truthaperture

Postby Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 pm

go out on the street and pick a group of people at random. there's your answer. not a righteous demo separate from society. just as much ignorance and bigotry in the military.
Everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn.
Okeefenokee
Nomarch

Postby AverageJoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Truthaperture wrote:Too many of my Family members and arm length away neighbors are active or retired military, and there is no way I would want to hear their boorish and dull ideas about the current state of american affairs on Dan's show.

Yeah fuck you too.

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 pm

i'd rather see a study similar to the milgram experiment. don't let the soldiers know what the purpose is. design a study to see what soldiers think about what america does, but disguise the fact that its about america.

present fictitious nations in scenarios identical to modern ones. watch how easily they can identify tyranny.

i had a discussion that turned into an argument yesterday. we were talking about drones. i got him to admit that he was ok with drone attacks if 90 percent of the casualties were innocent civilians. his defense was that those civilians were guilty by association because they didn't overthrow their government. he is probably the most enlightened soldier i am in class with. all of the others would never even consider that the civilians weren't active terrorists themselves.

these conversations come up daily. i have only met two soldiers who i wouldn't describe as horribly ignorant and filled with indoctrinated hate towards anyone they are told is the bad guy.

this notion that the military is devoted to liberty and constitution is patently false. the military is devoted to america, whatever that might mean. if the white house decreed that all muslims must be rounded up and interned, muslims in the army would be in zip cuffs immediately.

the insider threat videos that are shown to the troops do not point to muslims or foreigners as the threat from within. it blatantly says that soldiers who think for themselves rather than accept the party line without question are the threat.

in a comparison between a muslim, a cuban, and white girl. the white girl is highlighted as the threat because of her comments that amount to, "i can't have conversations with my co-workers because they accept everything they are told and don't think about things."

this dream that people illustrate about the military taking a stand against the erosion of liberty and "taking back america" for the people is a dream. nearly every soldier i have ever known has accepted without question that anyone that opposes the erosion of personal liberty wants the terrorists to win. they watch "battle in seattle" and cheer for the riot police to crack skulls.

i'm sure there are plenty of more educated people within the officer corps, but as has been stated, they care about their careers.
Everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn.
Okeefenokee
Nomarch

Postby doc_loliday » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:i had a discussion that turned into an argument yesterday. we were talking about drones. i got him to admit that he was ok with drone attacks if 90 percent of the casualties were innocent civilians. his defense was that those civilians were guilty by association because they didn't overthrow their government.

I've heard this argument several times. I wonder though, if the populations started arming themselves and fighting back, would we let it slide? I think we'd be chopping them down too.
What is wrong with you people? - Dr. Youth
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Next

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas