How to fix the people?

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: How to fix the people?

Postby doc_loliday » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 pm

What do you think about a mandatory National Service Program? You could serve in the military, or some civil projects. Something that binds us together as a country. Maybe help everyone to to see each other as countrymen and not just those people.
What is wrong with you people? - Dr. Youth
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby wither » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm

How to fix the people?

Education? Mandatory service? No.

Historically speaking: poverty, a future that appears to offer even more desperate poverty, and a sacred right to vote free of feudal meddling is what has created most of the dramatic positive change for most Americans.
_______
"You do not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed"
wither
Contributing Member

Postby hondo69 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm

You can only get away with social engineering if you have an uneducated population. Though it took generations, the liberals have finally reduced public education to a pile of mush. With the cornerstone of the master plan firmly in place the marionettes happily accept the puppeteer's direction and never once even notice who's getting rich behind the scenes.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby Vox Contra » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 am

doc_loliday wrote:What do you think about a mandatory National Service Program? You could serve in the military, or some civil projects. Something that binds us together as a country. Maybe help everyone to to see each other as countrymen and not just those people.

A national service program could do a lot of good.
The military has a very strong unifying force to it, and instills a lot of good values in most who go through.
I’ve seen a lot of good come from the National Parks service groups like the Land & Conservation Corp’s.

But I think I’d have to be handled carefully.
You’d need to make sure it has a homogenizing process, mixing people from all over the country, and getting them to work together. You’d need to get some good trainers that could whip the people into some kind of a functioning team. And you’d probably have to have a few different options for people to choose too.
If you dropped me off in a big city some where to volunteer my time I’d probably freak the hell out. Conversely if you dropped me in the middle of no where to work on some trail project I’d have no problem, but others probably wouldn’t be able to hack it in the wilderness.

Some mix of programs though, where you grab people from all over the country, and get them to work together to make some improvements could go along way to instilling a feeing of unity and ownership. If directed correctly we could get a bunch of people who feel more a part of their country and the larger community, and maybe get some national projects done on the cheap.

Trick would be getting the program off the ground.
Kind of hard to get a service program like that going in system that requires the apathetic and self absorbed to vote it into action.
Unless someone wanted to commit political hara-kiri and reinstitute the draft
“The truth springs from arguments amongst friends.”
― David Hume
Vox Contra
Nomarch

Postby Quasigriz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Germany has a fairly good setup where people are required to serve military or social job for 2 years.
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Mr_Noyes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Quasigriz wrote:Germany has a fairly good setup where people are required to serve military or social job for 2 years.

Not anymore - empty koffers killed mandatory military service. Well, of course not offiicially, they will give you some crap or another but basically it was about money.
Mr_Noyes

Postby Quasigriz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Mr_Noyes wrote:
Quasigriz wrote:Germany has a fairly good setup where people are required to serve military or social job for 2 years.

Not anymore - empty koffers killed mandatory military service. Well, of course not offiicially, they will give you some crap or another but basically it was about money.

Schäde.
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Previous

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas