New Form of Boycotting

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

New Form of Boycotting

Postby Fallpr98 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:47 am

Anti-boycott.
Here is an idea, i just thought of after watching 60 minutes. I've always disagreed with the effectiveness of protest and boycotts because they are more symbolic than anything. You never hit these corporations where it counts (their Pockets) for them to even consider implementing change. This is just an idea so i need feed back on whether this is feasible or an attainable plan.

Google makes money by corporations buying add space on the right side of their page. It's an industry that can make lots of money from a customer over a long period of time — making it not unwise to pay $27 per click (to google), even if only one out of 50 of those who click on the ad actually signs up for the service.

Let's use this against them the next time we want protest something. Imagine 1,000 people targeting a single corporation by clicking on a google advertisement like VERIZON, as many times as we can in a one day period. All we do is simply click from the comforts of our home and don't buy. Think about how much money they would lose at $27 dollars per click. One person could click away thousands of dollars from VERIZON for example. It would transfer wealth to google but who cares. Now Thats a boycott. Tell me what you think. Could this work?

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/ ... e-sources/
Fallpr98

Re: New Form of Boycotting

Postby Kolokol888 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Interesting but doubtfull I would say. Only a select few industries pay $10+ most are a lot lower. Still do the math $27 times 100.000 clicks = $2,7 million = 'a rounding error' for these industries. They have an army of mathematicians to make sure this is actually profitable and I would imagine GoogleAds come with some form of abuse protection.
100.000 clicks is a hell of alot of people... the only way I could see this working would be if 'Anonymous' wrote some code and used a bot... and that would be illegal.

By the way what makes you think the companies you wish to protest are the ones who have expensive CostPerClick? Haliburtons is probably more like $0.50 and what exactly do you have against Verizon?

Thats feasability now should it be done? I say no. What you are proposing is both morally and legally 'stealing'! - I can not approve
Correct morality can only be derived from what man is — not from what do-gooders and well-meaning aunt Nellies would like him to be

You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
Kolokol888
Nomarch

Postby antisexualist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 am

I think i could ,manage 100,000 clicks... :twisted:
http://www.auto-clicker.net/. .
a few millions is still orders of magnitude more damage than a few dollars from not buying on of their products.
antisexualist
Contributing Member

Postby boethius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 am

Fallpr98 wrote:Anti-boycott.
Here is an idea, i just thought of after watching 60 minutes. I've always disagreed with the effectiveness of protest and boycotts because they are more symbolic than anything. You never hit these corporations where it counts (their Pockets) for them to even consider implementing change. This is just an idea so i need feed back on whether this is feasible or an attainable plan.

Google makes money by corporations buying add space on the right side of their page. It's an industry that can make lots of money from a customer over a long period of time — making it not unwise to pay $27 per click (to google), even if only one out of 50 of those who click on the ad actually signs up for the service.

Let's use this against them the next time we want protest something. Imagine 1,000 people targeting a single corporation by clicking on a google advertisement like VERIZON, as many times as we can in a one day period. All we do is simply click from the comforts of our home and don't buy. Think about how much money they would lose at $27 dollars per click. One person could click away thousands of dollars from VERIZON for example. It would transfer wealth to google but who cares. Now Thats a boycott. Tell me what you think. Could this work?

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/ ... e-sources/

No.

Google has sophisticated algorithms to detect fraudulent clicks. If you sat there clicking from the same IP address all day, they'll stop charging the advertisers.

If your scheme worked, then every company would employ a bunch of clickers to drain their competitors' ad budgets. No company would purchase such advertising if fraud were so simple.
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby Kolokol888 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 pm

antisexualist wrote: a few millions is still orders of magnitude more damage than a few dollars from not buying on of their products.

Pardon me, I simply do not understand this sentence - no idea what is being said
Correct morality can only be derived from what man is — not from what do-gooders and well-meaning aunt Nellies would like him to be

You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
Kolokol888
Nomarch

Postby hondo69 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:01 pm

You seem to suffer from a severe shortage of mushrooms.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas