* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Common Sense Debate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 am 
Nomarch

I'm game for a little Econ 101.

Debate-style rules sounds like a winner too.

Now I know that economic theory is super boring to most people but my belief is that it doesn't have to be that way. The problem is that it's usually presented in such a boring fashion that it makes people's eyes roll. Add to that another problem: you can often twist numbers around to make them prove some point you're trying to make. Economists do this all the time and sometimes even win a Nobel Prize for their efforts.

When pressed, the economists typically run off and hide by spouting minutia so it at least sounds like they're making sense. Even when they are wrong, which is most of the time, they whip out some numbers to prove they are right. It's painful to watch, but I see it all the time.

The thing is basic economics is pretty easy to understand. In fact, most people already know the basics without even realizing it. Anyone who goes to the grocery store or shops online is picking up the basics subconciously.

As a side note, my son is a senior in high school and taking an economics class. He carries around a huge textbook which is basically 4 lbs of rubbish. It's really hard to help him with his homework.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 am 
Resident Medicaid Wonk

Supply-side economics. Hondo pro, Nick con

Hondo you should get the first post, then me one rebuttal, then we go from there

"Unhappy events abroad have retaught us two simple truths about the liberty of a democratic people. The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any other controlling private power." – President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Simple Truths message to Congress (April 29, 1938)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 am 
Nomarch

No problemo. Should I start now, or are we going to do a PM style as suggested earlier? I'm good either way.

A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats