Is there a chance that people can unite?

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Is there a chance that people can unite?

Postby higuys » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 pm

This is the second most haphazardly ideas that I thought of, but I think its worth mentioning on the interwebs. Inspired from an article from the Salon.com published on 12/7 of last year talks about the possibility of the Richmond Sec of the Tea Party and the OWS. Can this become a reality? Can there be a parallel somewhere in the founding of America?

For those who have not read the article:
http://www.salon.com/2011/12/07/can_occ ... y_team_up/
higuys

Re: Is there a chance that people can unite?

Postby Carlus Magnus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah, I think there is a chance; albeit a small one. People will need to tune out the norml newsmakers, this includes all the major corporate news outlets, the DEMS and GOP. I've stated forever we have far more in common with each other than we have apart. Once we realize that its game over for the duoploy and their corporate news outlets. This is why the press constantly inserts popular wedge issues into every debate and discussion.
Molon Labe
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi

Postby higuys » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:14 am

Yeah, I do hope this happens. I mean when we first successfully sent men to the moon, did the astronauts had a 1/3 chance of survival? (someone correct me if I am wrong). I do like the insert about adding "Separation of Corporation and State". I need to blow off some dust in this dept. but I think something called the elastic clause. People would agree much has changed in the last 100 years of this nation. I would like to see that idea inserted into the constitution. However, any of this wouldn't be easy. If the OWS and the Tea Party can join together to fight a common cause. Man that would be a powerful message to the powers there be.
higuys

Postby hondo69 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:11 am

I think it is possible, but unlikely.

You can take any big issue floating around these days and find a wide majority in agreement that it needs fixing, but the fixing is where the problems begin. It doesn't matter if it's ObamaCare, the national debt, unemployment or what have you there can be widespread agreement that these are huge problems. And they need serious attention.

But how do you fix them?

As evidenced by the many people who post on this forum any topic that arises is met with serious debate representing multiple positions on the issue. OK, sometimes the debate is not so serious, but it's hard to deny that people have strong feelings and are willing to express them. And generally that is a good thing, get the opinions out there. Kick the tires. Tell me why I'm wrong and I'll tell you why you're wrong. In the end we should be able to arrive at a compromise solution, right?

Wrong.

We lack the common ground required to come to any sort of solutions. We don't speak the same language anymore and our basic, fundamental beliefs no longer share much in common at all.

Suppose I go on national TV and make the most simple of statements, one which should have universal agreement. I say, "The sun rises in the east".

The responses to that statement would set off a fire storm of replies that would likely end up in fist fights breaking out in the streets. . .

- What a moron, the sun is stationary and it is the earth's rotation that causes the illusion of the sun rising. This guy is off his rocker and has lost all credibility with me.

- You know, that damned Bush caused the East Coast of country to benefit from sunshine sooner than the West Coast, and it's just plain wrong. Wrong I tell you.

So I go back on national TV in order to quell the violence and stop the rest of LA from burning to the ground. I say, "Let me clarify. When I said 'rises' I used the universally accepted euphemism that refers to the changing of night to day. The term is thousands of years old, but national media outlets who wish to change the world to fit their own molds and fulfill their own agendas twist those terms in hopes of changing thousands of years of history."

LA would continue burning.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas