* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics



All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic


 Post subject: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:21 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 111
What must it be like to be a member of congress right now? With approval ratings so low, might contempt breed contempt? The voters are just as happy to elect blowhard idiots as people who know what they are doing. They want everything and are willing to pay for nothing. And when things go well, they don't pay attention and find something else to complain about.

At least the corporations and special interests can provide something in return for their demands. Why NOT work for them?

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm 
Offline
Resident Medicaid Wonk
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:30 am
Posts: 5737
Location: New York, NY
They love us, we reelect incumbents over and over no matter how corrupt they have become. The United States House of Representatives has less turnover than the old Soviet duma (sad but true).

_________________
Nick

"Unhappy events abroad have retaught us two simple truths about the liberty of a democratic people. The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any other controlling private power." – President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Simple Truths message to Congress (April 29, 1938)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:39 am 
Offline
Nomarch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:06 am
Posts: 1860
Location: Austin, TX
We're supposed to hold our revolutions at the ballot box, but that never quite seems to happen.

With approval ratings in the teens logic would tell you that an incumbent simply doesn’t stand a chance these days. But like magic, they somehow get reelected over and over again. This tells me the public sentiment goes something like this, “You need to get rid of your guy, he’s part of the problem. But my guy, well he’s one of the good ones”.

_________________
Fugitive from the law of averages


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:53 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 111
hondo69 wrote:
“You need to get rid of your guy, he’s part of the problem. But my guy, well he’s one of the good ones”.


But if that is the case, then is congress really the problem? Isn't it rather the voters? I notice a lot of "home team" mentality in some voters where they seem to think they are part of a sporting event rather then making a choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15 am 
Offline
Nomarch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:06 am
Posts: 1860
Location: Austin, TX
Exactly. Dan has commented on this many times and it's a problem without any short term solution.

We have a public that covers their eyes and covers their ears, they just don't want to know how deep the problems run. At the same time, we have elected officials that have stacked the deck against us to such a great extent that we operate like a banana republic.

History shows that lethal combination always leads to the same result: war.

_________________
Fugitive from the law of averages


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:06 pm 
Offline
Hetairoi
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 5753
Location: Hell
hondo69 wrote:
Exactly. Dan has commented on this many times and it's a problem without any short term solution.

We have a public that covers their eyes and covers their ears, they just don't want to know how deep the problems run. At the same time, we have elected officials that have stacked the deck against us to such a great extent that we operate like a banana republic.

Image

hondo69 wrote:
History shows that lethal combination always leads to the same result: war.

I think we are headed there, unfortunately.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 10
What are the average approval ratings of specific congressmen with their constituents? Many Americans feel that all of congress is corrupt and evil, but their congressman is the one good and perfect congressman fighting for the people.

_________________
My Pollitical Compass Test Results


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline
Hetairoi
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:33 pm
Posts: 6816
Location: Clarksville, TN
jrball wrote:
What are the average approval ratings of specific congressmen with their constituents? Many Americans feel that all of congress is corrupt and evil, but their congressman is the one good and perfect congressman fighting for the people.



Not here, you will find that most members here disprove of their representative's actions.

_________________
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 am 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 10
raistian77 wrote:
jrball wrote:
What are the average approval ratings of specific congressmen with their constituents? Many Americans feel that all of congress is corrupt and evil, but their congressman is the one good and perfect congressman fighting for the people.



Not here, you will find that most members here disprove of their representative's actions.


Maybe I didn't phrase that well. Does anyone know of (reliable) studies done nationwide on approval ratings of congressmen among their constituents?

_________________
My Pollitical Compass Test Results


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Does Congress aprove of us?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:24 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm
Posts: 667
"After the uprising of the 17th of June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?"

~Bertolt Brecht

_________________
"Come back clowny-shoes and argue with me some more!"
-DBTrek


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


Home l Common Sense l Hardcore History l Donate l Community l Merchandise l Blog l About Us